Tuesday 8 August 2017

Glen Campbell


Click on picture to enlarge
Glen Campbell performing at Hamilton Place in 1983
Photos by Philip Haigh

Glen Campbell
April 22, 1936 – August 8, 2017

The music world has lost a much beloved musician and entertainer; and for me the news of Glen Campbell's passing, though not unexpected, brought back memories of growing up with his music, enjoying watching him in movies, and a memorable chance to see him perform at Hamilton Place, back in 1983.

I expected to be amazed by one of the world's best guitar players and anticipated listening to Campbell perform many of his hit songs; but I was totally surprised to hear him play the bagpipes - And good too!

He played Amazing Grace, Mull of Kintyre, and a couple more bagpipe pieces in addition to many guitar picking and banjo plucking classic fan favourites for his ecstatic audience. Watching all this from 4th-row center-front seats, I remember the evening as one of the best concert experiences I've ever had.

With Glen Campbell's passing, he leaves behind a legacy of music and memories. For me that includes songs like Honey Come Back, and Galveston; movies like True Grit, and my personal favourite fluff piece, Norwood; and of course the aforementioned concert.

Though immortality comes to very few, I think Glen Campbell has a good shot - In my memory, anyway!

Link here for a great Glen Campbell vocal/bagpipe rendition of Paul McCartney & Denny Laine's Mull of Kintyre.