Saturday 6 May 2017

My Assistant

FYI - This photo was taken
while the car was safely parked


I've been working a part time job for the better part of a year now, a simple obligation that gets me out of the house for several hours each week and brings in a little extra money.

Familiarity with my route, including safe stopping locations, allows me to perform my duties legally and efficiently; and, I quite enjoy getting out alone in my car, where I can play tunes and sing to my heart's content.

While solitude is one of the perks of this independent contractor position, another benefit is the opportunity to occasionally engage an assistant - specifically, my grand-daughter Rachel.

This young lady has willingly agreed on several occasions to spend time in a car with me; and, is becoming quite adept at record keeping and phone reporting, although the latter must come naturally to a pre-teen with nimble thumbs and available cell service.

The job takes less time when Rachel helps me, as I don't have to stop to record and relay the information I've gathered. Furthermore, my young assistant is learning about working, commitment and accuracy while she shares undivided bonding time.

I thoroughly enjoy this
occasional pseudo work relationship. I find my grand-daughter to be an excellent conversationalist who already has a strong and sensible perspective on people and life in general. She also has a quick and witty sense of humour that keeps me in stitches, especially when I’m willing to go with the flow.

I hope we’ll always be able to find time to simply hang out, catch up and tactfully explore each others thoughts and feelings. I think it will enrich both of our lives in immeasurable ways. For now, I’ll take what time I can get, in the car or out, making sure my grand-daughter knows that I’m always available, whenever she needs or wants me.

I'm genuinely encouraged to think that if Rachel continues as she’s started, she’ll grow into an amazingly happy, flexible, mature and confident young woman who will enjoy and enhance life on her own terms.