Monday 2 January 2017

Resolutions


New Year's Eve is often a time when people worry about making resolutions or unrealistic goals that they'll struggle to keep in the coming weeks and months. It's also a time when the hoopla can overtake the actual significance of the occasion.

My husband is a DJ, so he is usually booked to work on New Year's Eve. His gigs since I've known him have mostly been dinner dance affairs at Retirement Villages, and I've always been welcome to accompany him each year that we've been together. 
I'm usually enlisted to assist with spot dances, meandering through the crowd on the dance floor, and gifting couples with their prizes; but, while it's nice that we get to spend New Year's Eve together, even though Doug must work, I’ll admit that sometimes I get a little bored.

This year, we got to experience the best of both worlds. The week before the 31st, I received an invitation to join friends at their rousing Rummoli game house party. I was able to spend the early part of the evening with my husband, eat dinner and assist with the spot dance before joining the Rummoli game, already in progress.

I had a great time at both parties, and, I think Doug probably felt more relaxed working his retirement village gig, relieved of the worry of sharing time with me. I did lose $7 playing Rummoli, but I felt very welcome at the game and enjoyed the casual ambiance.

Doug and I don't really make New Year's resolutions, as such; they’re a custom in which we've never really put a lot of stock. Rather, we try to remain flexible about how we go about living life together, from ringing in the new year to how we face the challenges ahead. It’s our way of making sure the hoopla of just one day won’t overtake the significance of the rest of the year ahead.