Thursday 8 September 2016

Roddenberry's Reply


 David and I, just before heading off
to the 1977 Star Trek Convention
in Niagara Falls, NY

In honour of the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, I would like to share the following memory of a trip I took in 1977 with my brother, David, to a Star Trek convention in Niagara Falls, New York.

At the time of the convention, David was the big
Star Trek fan: I was simply the licensed driver enlisted by my 15-yr-old sibling, to transport him to the desired location.

I had never driven across the Canada/US border on my own before but a road trip without the parents seemed like a fun idea. David had done extra chores to earn the gas money for the trip and rarely asked for a favour, so I agreed.

Star Trek conventions in those days were certainly not the all out costumed and star-studded galas they are today; none-the-less, David thoroughly enjoyed himself. We looked briefly at tables of paraphernalia before being ushered into a large hall filled with folding chairs divided by a central aisle.


We were treated to viewings of a blooper reel that consisted mostly of original cast members walking confidently into non-functional sliding doors; and the un-aired TV pilot episode: "The Cage" from the original
Star Trek series.

The real highlight of the day was the appearance of
Star Trek creator, Gene Roddenberry, as the keynote speaker: Had I known, then, of his importance to the whole Star Trek phenomenon, I probably would not have had the courage to get up and ask him the question I did.

In all my 19-yr-old emerging 1970's feminist audacity, I stood up in front of hundreds of people - mostly men and boys - and asked Mr.
Star Trek, the equivalent of, "Would he consider less suggestive costuming for the women in his upcoming Star Trek, The Motion Picture?"

And, I was well and truly booed!

I wanted the women in Roddenberry’s futuristic ground-breaking sci-fi franchise to move beyond the stereotypical female eye-candy of 1960's television shows. I wondered if I could relate better to
Star Trek, moving forward, if the female cast members, with whom I was supposed to identify, looked and acted as though on a more level playing field with their male counterparts.

Admittedly, my simplistically worded question didn’t really explain the complicated ideas swirling around in my head; moreover, looking back I now realize that a little gratuitous flesh was partly why "Trekkies" were tuning in, and that the original
Star Trek series aired when mini-skirts were all the rage.

I totally understand why I was booed!

Gene Roddenberry, himself, spared me from what might have been an intensely embarrassing afternoon when he gallantly reclaimed the room and answered simply, that my question was a good one, and that he'd have his people give it some consideration.

I like to believe that Mr. Roddenberry’s kind reply to my question indicated that I may have provided a glimmer of inspiration that he remembered and implemented moving forward; It's more likely
, though, that Star Trek’s creator - an enlightened visionary, married to a strong, liberated woman - would have moved with the times, broken down barriers, and released Star Trek’s characters, women included, from antiquated stereotypes, as well he did.

Either way, I love that decades later,
Star Trek’s rebooted Uhura in Star Trek: Out of Darkness was a kick-ass full-fledged member of the team: It made me proud!

Booing aside, I came away from that
Star Trek convention feeling empowered, and David came away thunderstruck that his normally shy sister had actually conversed with the revered Gene Roddenberry.

Happy 50th Anniversary,
Star Trek!

"Live Long and Prosper!"