Tuesday 14 June 2016

Mighty Gardener

My mother has often reminisced about summers, long ago, when I was a very little girl; and, how she would frequently find me in the tomato patch, eating tomatoes right off the vine.

It was a love affair that's lasted a lifetime ... big red juicy tomatoes; though, not the little grape or cherry varieties.

When I grew older, I developed a passion for tomato sandwiches, only in summer, mind you. Tomatoes, warm from the garden or farmer's market on soft fresh bread with whipped dressing and lettuce and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. It makes me salivate, just remembering.

I haven't grown my own tomatoes for several years, largely because I disliked traipsing way out behind the garage, and often forgot the required maintenance that produces a good yield - out of sight, out of mind, don't you know; however, a memorable conversation this last winter with my Uncle Lodge - himself, a mighty gardener - put me in the mind-set to give growing tomatoes another try.

My tomatoes are thriving this year in a planter box on my back deck railing ... closer to the house for tending and eventual picking. It's a trial location I hope will work out well for both the fruit and this not-so-mighty gardener.

So far, my plants are strong and growing quickly, already producing a dozen or more healthy yellow blossoms. Tied to a wooden trellis with bits of old nylon stocking, I can see the plants from where I sit on the family room couch, so I won't forget to water and fertilize.


Uncle Walter [Lodge] Kraweski
Eating home-grown tomatoes this summer, on or off the vine, seems a long way off right now; but, I live in hope.

Thanks, Uncle Lodge for the much needed pep talk!