Sunday 19 June 2016

Father's Day

Father's Day hasn't been a day I've celebrated for a good number of years, as my dad passed away Thanksgiving weekend in 1998.

He was mildly wild in his youth - skipping school, smoking, playing pool, and hopping freight trains; growing out of all but playing pool, as an adult. Fiercely loyal, my dad kept most of his friends all of his life.

He was well read, even though he quit school following grade 6. Years later, while working and raising a family, he returned to school at night, and earned his grade 8. My dad never stopped trying to educate himself, and others. He could often be found quizzing the neighbourhood children using the Reader's Digest, Word Power section.

He began his working life with The Singer Sewing Machine Company, where for 25 years he served as salesman and later manager. Then, my dad made a career switch to Real Estate for another 25 years, working as a salesman and eventually a broker with his own business: Ross Hunt Real Estate.

Upon retirement he became involved in environmental and social causes. A natural born artist, my dad studied painting along with his mother and younger sister, and always carried a sketch pad and pens with him in case a subject inspired him to draw.

He loved garage sales and flea markets, and had an uncanny ability to gauge prices. He never paid full price for anything of value. In fact, following my birth at the Salvation Army Grace Hospital, my dad often joked that I was the most expensive thing he ever bought at the Salvation Army.

His quirky fun-loving nature made my dad wonderfully entertaining, especially with babies and young children. Two generations owe their ability, to sing silly songs like
Chickery chick, cha-la, cha-la and fold paper airplanes, to my dad.

The picture below is of me and my dad, the first summer of my life. In it, I'm wearing a clean hanky he'd tied around my head to keep off the sun. It's one of my favourite family photos.


Father's Day continues to be bittersweet, even 18 years later, as each year I'm reminded of all that he's missed. Mostly, I wish my Daddy had lived long enough to see my girls grow up, and to meet and know his grandchildren.