Tuesday 26 April 2016

Robin in the Rain


Once again, we had a huge amount of rain overnight! - A long and heavy soaking that continued well into the morning!

Because of the downpour, I was enlisted to drive my young granddaughter to school. Getting into the vehicle, I asked her if she could remember a good rainy day song, to which she replied, "Robin in the Rain"!

Robin in the Rain is a charming song I learned over 50 years ago, in Miss Pottruff's grade 1 class at Bartonville School. Though the name of the composer and the origin of the song are somewhat uncertain,
the lyrics are as follows:

Robin in the rain,
What a saucy fellow.
Robin in the rain,
Mind your socks of yellow.
Running in the garden on your nimble feet,
Digging for your dinner with your long strong beak.
Robin in the rain,
You don't mind the weather
Showers always make you gay.
Bet the worms are wishing you would stay at home,
Robin on a rainy day -- don't get your feet wet,
Robin on a rainy day!

I loved "Robin in the Rain," enough to remember it, and I have sung it often with my own daughters and my grand-daughters over the years.

Happily, we sang "Robin in the Rain" as we drove along to school on this rainy April morning, and I really didn't mind the rain much at all. Perhaps, this approach could work for you, too.