Wednesday 1 July 2015

Happy Canada Day!


Several years ago, CFRB Radio, 1010 on the dial, ran an unofficial contest to find a more inclusive version of Oh Canada on the Jim Richards' Showgram. This search was initiated in response to criticism, at the time, about the lack of inclusiveness in the current lyrics.

Oh Canada’s original lyrics were written, in French, for the 1880 Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day by Calixa LavallĂ©e. Since then, they’ve been translated into English and revised several times, not always to the betterment of an overall inclusive message.

I’m usually uneasy with the idea of changing words written by another writer, especially when the changes are made with the objective of righting unintentional exclusions; however, I believe that in the case of a national anthem, political correctness is essential to inclusion of all citizens.

So, the poet in me created my own revision of Oh Canada, endeavouring to be as inclusive as possible. My lyrics were highly commended but did not win the competition. Happily, though, my revised version of Oh Canada was described as one that, “Touches on all the things that people feel about being Canadian.” I was also thrilled that my reworking of the anthem was chosen to be sung on-air by Canada’s renowned vocalist Michael Burgess.


Today, in honour of Canada Day, I'm sharing this story; my Oh Canada revision, below; and link to the 1 min 44 sec CFRB-1010/Michael Burgess Radio clip
"Oh Canada, our home and chosen land
True patriot love in all our hearts command
With glowing pride, we see thee rise, the true north strong and free
From far and wide, oh Canada, we stand on guard for thee
Long may we live, tolerant and free
Oh Canada, in splendour, sea to sea
Oh Canada, we stand on guard for thee"
Inclusive Revision
b
y Nancy Haigh Gordon